irisonbooks

Iris on Books

Iris is a PhD student and book blogger who's favourite pastime is curling up under a blanket with a cup of tea and a good book.

Eight Days of Luke
Margo Lanagan
An Abundance of Katherines
John Green

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark,  Candia McWilliam I am probably the last person in the world to read this, but for those who are unfamiliar with the story, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is about the unconventional teacher Miss Jean Brodie, who teaches those she considers “her girls” about her life, sexuality, art, instead of teaching the curriculum. The book follows both Jean Brodie, and her students, through most of their lives (a remarkable feat for such a short novel) and depicts their changing opinions of each other.

This book is incredibly clever and beautifully written. In its 128 pages it covers so much more than I expected. So much so that I feel that in order to truly understand the story and its themes, I should probably read it a second time. I also feel I would go from liking to loving this, on a second read, probably.

My somewhat rambly, somewhat random observations on The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, see the longer post on my blog.